The /r/ sound is also known as
The Growling Bear Sound
Below you will find a helpful video demonstrating the sound, as well as a book list, word list, and ways to target the /r/ sound at home.
Ways to Target at Home
1. Practice the /r/ sound by going on a scavenger hunt and finding things that have the /r/ sound. (Rug, Car, Paper etc.)
2. While reading books together, look for things that start with the /r/ sound and practice saying them.
3. Practice your /s/ sound by coloring or painting pictures that have the /r/ sound in them (Farm, Butterfly, etc.)
Here are some words you can use to practice the /r/ or Growling Bear Sound:
Here are some books you can read to practice the /r/ sound:
- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
- Big Red Barn Book by Margaret Wise Brown
- Froggy Goes to the Library by Jonathan London
- Five Green and Speckled Frogs by Priscilla Burris
- Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
- Robots, Robots, Everywhere by Sue Fliess