What is ESL?
Many of our students speak a first language or additional language other than English and benefit from instructional supports to develop their English language skills for success.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for this programming, students must be:
- Learning English as a second language
What are the goals?
- Develop English language and literacy skills
- Develop an understanding of Canadian culture and customs
- Support student and family transitions into the school and community
Why is this important for my child?
- Improved ability to speak, read and write in English
- Improved ability to achieve at their grade level in all subject areas
- Confidence communicating opinions, thoughts and ideas in a variety of contexts
- Development of skills and strategies to support ongoing English language learning
How is the program delivered?
- Flexible instruction that is suited to meet students’ needs, abilities and goals
- Practice speaking in English with other students
- Gradual integration into a regular classroom as language skills progress and improve
- Instruction that is scaffolded to meet language needs
- Sheltered English language instruction at all grade levels
How do I get connected?
- Contact your Lakeland Catholic School.
- Expect a call from your Cultural Liaison who will meet with you and your child.
- You will fill out a short questionnaire to help us get to know you better, while your child is assessed to determine their English Language proficiency.
How will my child be assessed?
What will my child learn?
All Lakeland Catholic School District programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in English as a Second Language classes will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.